Table of Contents
How can we improve the CHIP program? CHIP programs could improve coverage by adopting Medicaid’s benefit standard and the American Academy of Pediatricians Bright Futures Guidelines for preventive care. States could advance their quality improvement efforts by reporting the full Core Set of Children’s Health Care Quality Measures in Medicaid and CHIP.
How can health care access be improved?
- Ensure adequate funding of the Children’s Health Insurance Program and retain Medicaid expansion and implement expansion in more states.
- Stabilize individual insurance marketplaces and retain ACA market reforms.
- Address physician shortages.
What did the Affordable Care Act do for CHIP? Since CHIP was reauthorized in 2009, the ACA has altered the health care landscape by expanding Medicaid eligibility for children to 138% FPL and establishing tax credits and new options for coverage under the new health insurance Marketplaces. If CHIP is not reauthorized, some children will face barriers to coverage.
What changes should be made to the healthcare system?
- Improve testing and contact tracing.
- Place patient health above healthcare profits.
- Build a network for nationwide collaboration.
- Improve access to care.
- Ensure all patients have health insurance.
- Confront stigma.
- Protect primary care.
- Fund more scientific research.